Natural is Our Heritage

Welcome to my chair...

I remember growing up and watching my mom braiding her hair at night to wake up and have the most fabulous afro I had ever seen. My mom was my first mentor and role model that taught me to embrace my beauty as a black woman and celebrate my natural hair. I remember every saturday, my mom took the time and had the patience to shampoo and cornrow my natural tresses as well as my baby sister's hair into some of the most unique and beautiful styles. My mother was my first teacher in the art of afro braiding and natural hair creativity. Natural is definitely our heritage.

Stepping back in time, I remember black movies like, "Which Way Is Up", "Cotton Comes to Harlem", "The Cotton Club"; and television shows like, "Goodtimes", "The Jeffersons", and "What's Happening", where black actresses celebrated their natural hair like forms of art. One of my favorite characters was "Foxy Brown" played by actress Pam Grier.

Pam Grier (The Original "Foxy Brown")
Source: Gregorys Shock Theater

For some of us, (not telling our age), wanted to wear our natural hair like Pam Grier, Diana Ross, Chaka Khan, and of course let's not forget political activist and professor Angela Davis. These are just a few of the most dymanic women who placed an impact on our natural hair culture. Once again...Natural is Our Heritage.

Do you remember the black comb, the afro pic, and the red cardboard container of royal crown hairdressing?

Share your memories today?

No comments:

Post a Comment