Damn, I Love My Natural Hair!

Welcome to my chair...

In December, I discovered a empowering blog called "The Daily Love" which I read daily. I cannot express how much this blog has impacted my way of seeing things and my new outlook in 2012. Well, in yesterday's featured reading on "The Daily Love", guest blogger Jenna Phillips post was titled "I Love Love Love Me!" Jenna states, "when was the last time you told the most important person (meaning you) that you loved him or her"...

Damn, I had to stop reading and think about this one and honestly, it has been a minute since I looked myself in the mirror and said, "Damn, I love my natural hair"!

So, now I am asking you, when was the last time you told the most important person in the world that you loved their natural hair? You had to think about it...didn't you?

So I decided to keep reading and then, Jenna even had the nerve to suggest that I give myself a hug. I am 0 for 2 right now, I can't tell you how long it has been since I did this one but when I did...OMG! It was great, like Tony the Tiger "Grrrrrreat"(lol).

I triple dare you to give the most important ______________ a big hug...I'll let you fill in the blank...lol.

After reading "I Love Love Love Me!", I take a look back on my natural hair journey and why I decided to go natural.

Do you remember the scene in "Waiting to Exhale" when Bernadine, played by Angela Bassett, was coming out of her marriage and decided to cut off all of her hair as if this action was somehow a symbol of freeing herself from the denial and deception that she had embraced.

Well, sisters this was me!!! When I did my big chop, I felt I was cutting away years of pretending to be someone I was not in order to keep someone else happy, and believe me, when the chop was over, I felt like Bernadine...free and ready for new beginnings.

Did you catch those last two words, "New Beginnings"?

I know many of you can relate to my Bernadine moments. I must admit though, it did include a little bit more than cutting my hair but I plead the 5th. What??? I was "Waiting to Exhale"...lol.

Seriously though, at that moment, I realize that what I allowed to happen to me was the result of me not loving myself and I wanted to learn to love myself again in the purest form and loving my hair natural was only the beginning...

Well, it has been almost ten years since I took my first big chop, (with no regrets) and reading "I Love Love Love Me!" reminded me of why I decided to go natural...my natural hair represents my right to fall in love with my gift and that gift is ME!

Each and every one of us have our own reasons for loving our natural hair, some may have been in the same state as I was and some may have not. Matter of fact, this may not be the first time you have read a blog post on this subject matter but it was in my heart to share this thought while you were in my chair.

If this post is not for you, pass it along to someone who may be having a "Bernadine" moment, it may be just what that person needs to hear to not feel like a victim of their circumstances. I took my life back and fell in love with my natural hair.

Damn, that was powerful enough to repeat...I TOOK MY LIFE BACK AND FELL IN LOVE WITH MY NATURAL HAIR.

Now for the side effects...Cutting your hair off or wearing you hair natural may not be what you need to do to fall in love with the most important person in your life, and that is YOU! But one thing I do know is this, if you are surrounded by people who are making you feel unworthy of self-love, cutting their asses off is definitely something you need to do. You will be amazed at the results!!!

Don't you just love my sense of humor??? I Do Because I Love Myself.

Now welcome back to my chair...

When was your "haha" moment and you learned the importance of loving yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment